|Helping at Home|
1. Learn high school graduation requirements as well as the entrance requirements for colleges/universities. Review these prior to selecting high school classes with you student. Guidance counselors have numerous resources to answer any questions you may have regarding courses, college requirements, and post-secondary options.
2. Investigate requirements needed for College Tech Prep programs.
3. Help your teen gather information about the careers that interest him/her.
OHIO MEANS JOBS https://ohiomeansjobs.com provides a wide range of information for career research and employment opportunities.
4. Help your child identify attitudes and skills that employers look for in job applicants. Discuss post-high school plans.
5. Encourage job awareness.
6. Encourage summer work, job shadowing and volunteer experiences.
7. Encourage independent thinking, choice making and responsibility for choices.
8. Teach your young adult about managing his/her money including making own purchases and banking basics.
9. Expect your teen to participate in household routines such as cooking, cleaning, laundry, lawn care or other tasks of daily living.
10. Expect your teen to take responsibility for getting up, showering, dressing, eating breakfast and getting to places on time.
11. EXCELLENT resource of ideas from Oklahoma Transition Council.